Home » Bikes » Running » How To SORN Your Motorcycle

How To SORN Your Motorcycle

Declaring your motorcycle SORN

Sometimes, there may be a reason why you do not want to, or are unable to ride your bike on the road.  This may also mean you no longer want to tax or insure the bike, and instead keep it off road for a period of time until you are able to repair or sell it.

In this instance, there are legal obligations you must adhere to. As the registered owner of the bike, you are legally required to pay vehicle tax, hold a valid MOT certificate and have the bike covered by a suitable insurance policy, even if it is not being used.

In order to ameliorate your obligations in respect of the above, you need to declare the vehicle as being SORN.

Table of Contents

What is SORN?

A SORN, or Statutory Off Road Notification, is a statement of fact that you need to make to the DVLA when your bike, car, or other vehicle is taken “off the road”.  This means that you are not taxing or insuring it, and that it is literally being kept away from public roads in a garage, a driveway or on private land.

How Do I Apply To Make My Motorbike SORN?

This is actually a fairly simple process, but one that is heavily governed, so you need to apply as soon as possible.

If you are registered as the legal keeper or owner of the bike, you can apply for a SORN by contacting the DVLA vehicle service on 0300 123 4321, or you can apply online at www.gov.uk

You can also apply by post, by completing a V890 application form and sending it to the DVLA direct.  You will need to apply by post if you are not yet registered as the legal keeper, along with the applicable section of the V5C log book.

When Should I Declare My Bike As SORN?

If your bike has failed an MOT, or had an accident that needs repairs you cannot yet afford, you would need to declare it off-road immediately.  To do this, you will need the 11-digit number that can be found on the V5C, the vehicle log book.

If, however, you are simply intending to not renew the road tax and leave it off-road for a period of time, then you can apply for the SORN notification to start on the first day of the following month. To do this, you would need to have the 16-digit number that is displayed on the V11 – the vehicle tax reminder document.

You can find out all about how and when you should declare your bike as SORN on the www.gov.uk website.  It is straightforward to use, and offers various ways to contact advisors if you are unsure of your position in respect of the same.

Do I Need To Renew The SORN?

You do not need to renew your SORN following changes in the law in 2013.  Your SORN is automatically cancelled when you tax your vehicle again or it is sold or scrapped.

What Happens If I Don’t Declare My Bike As SORN?

Because of the way in which vehicle tax duty is recorded, the DVLA have the technology to search their records every month for vehicles which are un-taxed or un-SORNed.

If your bike is found to have neither, you WILL be contacted by the DVLA. The penalties for not declaring your bike as being SORN include:

  • An automatic fine of £80
  • Wheel clamping
  • Permanent removal of the vehicle from you

Be smart, and avoid the fine – SORN your vehicle anytime you need to take it off the road.

Questions or Comments?

If you’ve got a question about this article and you need a bit more guidance, drop a comment below and we’ll get back to you.

Likewise, if you’ve got something to add to this article or an experience you’d like to share, let’s hear it!

We love reading your comments and helping our readers.

  • david short says:

    do i need to mot my motor cycle if i have just purchased it but will not be using it for some time

  • >
    Scroll to Top
    Scroll to Top