Motorcycle Tax Rates – 2019

What is Road Tax?

Vehicle Excise Duty (VED), formally known as road tax, must be displayed on vehicles registered in the United Kingdom and is an annual fee. The Roads and Finance Act of 1920 implemented road rax, now known as VED, with the idea of creating revenue in order to maintain UK roads to a roadworthy standard.

Over the years the criteria for which would determine your tax band has changed many times with the VED band for cars being based on their CO2 emissions in order to combat pollution. The VED bands for motorcycles, scooters and trikes, however, are defined by their engine capacity (cc).

Prices rise again!

When the government introduced the new tax system with monthly direct debits, the cynics among us suggested this was a cunning way for the government to be able to increase rates by a few pence per month, rather than a larger hike once a year and the Average Joe wouldn’t notice. Well guess what? That’s exactly what’s happening, with prices rising above the rate of inflation from 2018 to 2019.

Motorcycle tax rates

In order to confirm which VED band you are in you will need to know your engine size (cc). This can be found on your vehicle registration document.

Motorcycle (with or without sidecar) (TC17)

Engine size (cc)12 months rate12 monthly installments by direct debit Single 6 month  payment 6 monthly installments by direct debit
Not over 150£20£20N/AN/A
Over 600£91£91£50.05£47.78

What documents do I need to tax my motorcycle?

To tax any motorcycle you will need your vehicle’s logbook (V5C) or the green ‘new keeper’s details’ slip’ (V5C/2) and proof of insurance. If your motorcycle of scooter is over three years old you will also need a valid MOT certificate and if you have also been sent a DVLA reminder that will also be required.

If you do not have any of the above documents you will need to contact the DVLA.

Where can I tax my motorcycle?

You can obtain your motorcycle tax from the post office if you have the V5C logbook, V5C/2 green slip or if the DVLA has sent you a reminder form.

You can now also pay online for your motorcycle tax online at the DVLA’s website. This can be a quick and easy option as the DVLA will already know whether your motorcycle is insured and whether or not the MOT certificate is in date. Once the online form is completed and you have paid your vehicle is then taxed. (Unless you live on the Isle of Man where you will still receive your tax disc through the post to display in/on your vehicle.)

You can pay by debit or credit card and you can now pay monthly by direct debit for certain VED bands as shown next.

Are classic motorcycles exempt from road tax?

As classic motorcycle as classed as ‘historic vehicles’ you do not have to pay vehicle tax on any vehicle which registered before 1 January 1973, however you still have to supply the documents as noted above.

What happens to my VED if I sell my motorcycle?

If you decide to sell your motorcycle which is still taxed it gets cancelled and you will automatically receive a pro-rated refund from the DVLA. This also applies if you take your vehicle off the road using a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification), export it or if it gets scrapped.

Do I need to renew my VED if I buy a new motorcycle with a valid VED?

Yes. If you buy a new motorcycle your tax is no longer transferred from one owner to another. You will need to get new vehicle tax before you use the vehicle and you will need the reference number on your new keeper slip V5C/2.

How much does it cost to tax a 125cc motorcycle?

The cheapest rate is £20 if you pay in one go. You can only tax a 125cc motorcycle (or scooter) for 12 months, so if you’re unsure how long you’re going to keep it, it’s best to setup a Direct Debit and pay monthly, meaning you can cancel your road tax if you sell your 125.

Take our 1-minute insurance challenge

We've created a quick motorcycle insurance estimator that takes just 60-seconds to fill out and requires no personal info. Are you paying over the odds for your motorcycle insurance?